Mobile OCR, SDK and API
With the focus on mobile applications, there is now high demand for Mobile OCR/SDK/API functionality to enable phones and tablets to recognize text from images. Optical Character Recognition on the mobile device can take two forms:
- On Mobile Device OCR – in this form, OCR is performed on the mobile phone through a local SDK. Photos can be interpreted and recognized at the local level without the need for internet connectivity.
- On Server Mobile OCR – in this form, the image is passed to an OCR and Recognition Server for processing and the results are returned to the mobile device.
There are a wide variety of use cases for Mobile OCR, including:
- Healthcare and Patient Solutions (See an example here: Mobile OCR and Patient Barcodes in Healthcare )
- Construction Document Scanning
- Social Work Document Scanning
- Sign Translation
There are a number of companies that provide this functionality. See an example here: Ephesoft Mobile SDK